About this Recipe
I cannot get enough of these chocolate muffins. They have gorgeous domed muffin tops which add a bit of texture and they are chock-full of chocolate chips for a burst of melted chocolate. These are so moist but still hold their shape very well.
Making the muffins:
You make these muffins by whisking the dry ingredients – flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt – together in a large bowl.
Then combine buttermilk, treacle, eggs, and vanilla extract in a small bowl or measuring cup. The treacle isn’t a strong flavor, it just adds some depth to the muffins.
Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. When just combined, add melted butter gently fold to combine. Then add in the chocolate chips. Do not overmix.
Optionally you can chill the batter for 30 minutes to create a high domed muffin top.
Bake these muffins first for 5 minutes at 400°F (205°C). Then turn the temperature down to 350°F (175°C) and continue to bake for 8-12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean or with a few crumbs. Do not open the oven while baking even after changing the temperature.
Store these muffins in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
- 2 cups (240 g) all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup (65 g) cocoa powder
- 1 cup (220 g) brown sugar, tightly packed
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup and 2 tbsp buttermilk
- 1/4 cup molasses or treacle
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (113 g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup (160 g) chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C). Generously grease a 12-cup muffin tin or line with muffin liners.
2. Whisk flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a large bowl.
3. Whisk together buttermilk, treacle, eggs, and vanilla extract in a small bowl or measuring cup.
4. Gently fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Then add melted butter and combine.
5. Fold in the chocolate chips. Do not overmix.
6. Optionally cover the batter and chill for 30 minutes.
7. Divide batter between twelve muffin tins. Fill all the way to the top. Optionally sprinkle some more chocolate chips on top.
8. Bake for 5 minutes at 400°F (205°C) then turn the temperature down to 350°F (175°C) and continue to bake for 8-12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.