Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
About this Recipe
I love these lemon poppy seed muffins. They are packed with bright lemon flavor, beautifully moist, and have a bit of texture from the added poppy seeds. They are so easy to make and the perfect addition to any breakfast.
Whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder, and salt) in a large bowl.
Whisk together the wet ingredients (lemon zest, yogurt, melted butter, buttermilk, and eggs) in a separate, medium sized bowl. Then add the lemon juice and whisk until combined. Lemon zest is optional but highly recommended.
Combine the dry ingredients and the wet ingredients until just combined. Do not overmix. Overmixing leads to very dry muffins. The batter will be very thick. Thicker muffin batters cause the delicious high domed muffin tops you get in bakeries.
Bake these muffins first for 5 minutes at 425°F (218°C). This high temperature causes steam to escape and make the muffins rise more. Then turn the temperature down to 375°F (190°C) and continue to bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean or with a few crumbs. Do not open the oven while baking even after changing the temperature.
Make the glaze:
You don’t have to add the glaze to these muffins, but I think it adds a beautiful tangy citrus flavor to them. The glaze adds most of the lemon flavor.
Make the glaze by combining the powdered sugar, lemon juice, and optionally a drop of vanilla extract in a medium bowl. You can add more powdered sugar to make it thicker, and lemon juice to get a thinner consistency. Drizzle the glaze on top of the muffins after they cool.
Store these muffins loosely covered at room temperature for a few days or freeze them in an airtight container for up to 2 months.
- 2 1/2 cups and 2 tbsp (320 g) all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup (120 g) granulated sugar
- 2 ½ tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp lemon zest, about 1 lemon zested (optional)
- 1 cup (285 g) Greek yogurt
- ½ cup (113 g) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cup (200 g) powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- A drop of vanilla extract (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F (218°C). Generously grease a 12-cup muffin tin or line with muffin liners.
2. Whisk flour, sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl.
3. In a separate medium sized bowl whisk lemon zest, Greek yogurt, melted butter, buttermilk, and eggs together until smooth. Add the lemon juice and whisk until smooth.
4. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined. Do not overmix. The batter will be very thick.
5. Fill each muffin tin all the way to the top.
6. Bake the muffins for five minutes at 425°F, then turn the temperature down to 375°F (190°C) and continue to bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
7. Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to continue cooling.
8. Make the lemon glaze by combining the powdered sugar, lemon juice, and vanilla extract. Adjust the amount of powdered sugar until the desired consistency is reached.
9. Drizzle the lemon glaze onto the muffins and serve.